Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Beginnings, Again

I'm not really back yet from the summer, in case you were wondering.

This time last year I had already had a week and a half of my first year of teaching, in which I took away a recess, gave two amazing lessons that I didn't plan, helped my class come up with their own rules, and had 5 kids suspended (I'm serious! Go read the archives..). I don't think it could have been any better, or any worse. And I was grateful to my school for having started early enough in August that I taught about 10 Mishna rabbis and 6 mishnayot before Rosh HaShanah even started.

This year I'm starting over, in a new school and a new city, and in a new grade level and a new subject. I am grateful for the renovations that mean I will have enough time to plan, for the three weeks of Pardes and the curriculum I wrote there instead over the whole next year, and for having enough summer time until September to move and to think and dream.

Last year my boss told me, "The first year sucks. You just have to get through it to move on to the second year, which will be much better." Well, the first year was definitely about suckiness, but mostly it was about learning to teach, being touched by wonderful people (adults and students) and the many small or unexpected successes that add up to becoming who you really are. It wasn't all bad. In fact, a tiny part of me fears that I will start to be the boring type of set-in-their-ways teacher that comes with knowing what to expect. Good thing I have all these new-nesses to keep me on my toes.

To those of you who just started, or are about to start, your first year: try a thousand new things, make a million mistakes, and sail ahead on the wings of your love and dedication. Don't let those of us who've done it already spoil the adventure of charting out the unknown and bringing home your own souvenir wisdom.

And to those of you who have done this before, be it once or ten times: Enjoy the ride, and stay in touch!

No comments:

Post a Comment